18 April 2022

7.1 In the second case, a man accused me of stealing...

 Wichita, Kansas - 14 May 1874

“So, you think there might be a letter for you, son?” Mr. Kellogg smiled at ARJ from behind the counter. “Now let me see...”

“It may be addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Dibbens, Sir.” ARJ answered.

“Ah, yes! Here it is.” Mr. Kellogg pulled the letter from a nook. “It seems this one has come all the way from Denver.” He turned the envelope over in his hand and then held it out to ARJ.

“It must be from my uncles! They live near the Rocky Mountains! Thank you, Sir!”

ARJ ran through the door and turned left, nearly colliding with a man coming inside.

“Excuse me, Sir!” He said as he looked up. He recognized Mr. Brewer from the law office.

“Whoa! Wait a minute… Can it be Mr. Dibbens?” Mr. Brewer said as he presented his hand. Are you in town with your father, today?”

“Yes.” ARJ nodded. “He let me walk down to check for mail.”

Mr. Brewer pulled out a pocket watch on a long gold chain. “Well, then, I see the trip was fruitful. I’ll see you again in thirty minutes, young man.”

ARJ nodded and hurried up the street to Mr. Kohn’s
shop.

Dad looked up as ARJ walked through the door, holding out the letter. He smiled at ARJ as he took it and turned around to see if Mum was finished showing the shopkeeper her lace.

“This is called Trolly lace.” She was saying as she pulled a piece from her bag, unrolling it carefully. Mr. Kohn took it in his hands, examining its fine design.

“The ladies all seem to be experts at discerning real lace from that which isn’t real, as they say.” He held the piece up to the light that shone through the front window.

“Real lace isn’t perfect, they tell me. Funny. The more perfect it is, the less valuable.” Mr. Kohn looked at Mum and smiled. “They may have difficulty deciding with this fine work!”

Mum smiled.

John William spoke up. “It is real lace. I watched her make it!”

Mr. Kohn laughed. “I’ll take your word on it!”

Dad looked at the large clock on the back wall. ARJ followed his eyes with his own. ‘Fifteen minutes.’ He thought.

By the time they left the shop, Mum had ten dollars and fifty cents for her lace, and more supplies to keep her working.

“I’m so happy the fine thread arrived! I’ll try something a little more complicated next.”

As they came to the office of Howitt, Salisbury and Brewer, Mr. Salisbury came through the door.

“Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Dibbens. You know you really are not required to be here for the preliminaries.”

“I feel better knowing the entire process.” Dad said, and Mr. Salisbury nodded.

“I don’t blame you, and today shouldn’t take long. We’ll just get your case before Judge Campbell and you’ll know about when the district court will hear the case.” He said, as he directed them along the sidewalk.

He glanced at Dad. “Did you tell me? Have you had any experience with the court system?”

Dad nodded. “Back in England, a couple of times.”

Mr. Salisbury looked a bit surprised at Dad’s revelation.

“I was witness to a case of stolen coal. In the second case, a man accused me of stealing manure from his garden.”

Mr. Salisbury halted in his steps and looked at Dad again, stopping the rest of them.

“You’re serious…” He observed. Dad nodded.

Mr. Salisbury guffawed. “Well, I hope you won that one!” he said and laughed again.

The attorney was correct when he said it would be nothing. Dad entered the town hall with Mr. Salisbury, leaving the rest of the family to wait outside.

ARJ kept his eyes on Dad, through the open door. There were several men, including Mr. Brewer, facing who he thought must be the judge. He saw Mr. Salisbury walk to the front of the hall and hand the clerk documents. The judge asked some questions which the lawyer answered.

Within a few minutes, Dad came through the door. ARJ could tell by looking at his face that he was no longer in the mood to laugh with Mr. Salisbury. Dad shook hands with the attorney, and Mr. Salisbury looked him straight in the eye.

“I’ll be in touch. This case needs to be strong. I know Tucker & Sluss. They are serious criminal lawyers that work almost entirely for the state.” Dad didn’t say anything. He just kept eye contact as the attorney continued.

“It needs to be tight. If we need to do a deposition, then we must, but if Mrs. Dibbens can testify in person… the better for all of you.”

When Mr. Salisbury had left them, Mum asked, “Do you know when the trial will be?”

“Sometime during the week of June eighteenth.”

Mum drew in her breath.

At tea, back at home, Dad pulled the envelope from his pocket and stared at it.

“I forgot about the letter. You haven’t opened it yet.” Mum said. “It’s from Denver, isn’t it?”

Dad nodded. “I’ll need to write them another letter this week to let them know the court date.

He tore off the end of the envelope and slipped out a single sheet. “It’s from Albert.” He said as he unfolded it.

Dad read aloud. “Brother. We’re sorry to hear of the trouble. I’m sure Anna and the children were terrified. When I told Rachel of the situation, she insisted on coming to help Anna. We will be arriving within the month. Albert. I guess I’ll be writing the letter to let William know what’s happening.”

Mum smiled. “Sweet Rachel! It’s just like her! I can’t say I won’t be glad for some company.” She gasped, looking around their cabin. “I’m not sure where we’ll put everyone!”

“If we have to, Albert and I can set up in the barn.”

“Boys!” Mum said, “Your cousins, Ernie and James, are coming for a visit!”

The next few weeks were full of activity. Mum gave the cabin a thorough cleaning, from top to bottom. Anticipating visitors lifted her spirits and she hummed again as she worked. Dad seemed relieved to have Uncle Albert on the way.

Winter clothes were put away and Mum worked on some new summer clothes for the children. “Do you remember the heat of last summer, Arthur?”

“How could I forget! The days spent on that wagon bench were the warmest of my life!”

“It’s so much warmer here in the summer than I ever remember in England. Mr. Kohn just received summer hats and bonnets last week. They’ll be gone in a blink of an eye!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waves of Wheat

Navigating This Blog

There are several ways to use this blog and read Waves of Wheat . Thank you for reading! Find the Labels to the right. Select a category fr...