08 July 2022

12.1 - ARJ didn’t believe him.

Wichita, Kansas - June 12, 1874

The judge looked around the room and then at Mr. Sluss. “County Attorney, Mr. Sluss, you may call your first witness for the prosecution.”

Mr. Sluss looked up, then leaned toward his notes.
He raised off the chair, knees still bent and said, “The People call Robert Williams.” He sat back down and picked through his papers.

From the back of the room, Mr. Williams stood and made his way to the isle. “Tell em!” someone said from the back. A few people chuckled.

Crack – Crack – Crack! ARJ jumped at the sound. The judge hit his gavel on the table once more. “The court will remain in order. Anyone who cannot maintain silence will be asked to leave.” The crowd quieted, all eyes on the first witness.

ARJ watched the burly man who led the mob that night, saunter to a chair near the judge and turned to face the room. He started to sit but the clerk jumped up and motioned for him to wait.

“Stand and raise your right hand.” Mr. Williams held his hand up, a sideways smirk spread across his face toward his buddies. “Do you promise that the testimony you shall give in the case before this court shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?”

Mr. Williams nodded. “I do.” ARJ didn’t believe him.

“Please state your first and last name, and where you live.”

“Robert Williams, Payne Township, Sedgwick County, Kansas.”

“You may be seated.” The clerk said. He walked back to his desk and opened a big ledger.

Mr. Sluss glanced at his notes, rose, and faced Mr. Williams.

The lawyer started with some boring questions. “How long have you lived in Payne Township? Do you have a farm?” Mr. Williams answered them to the satisfaction of Mr. Sluss. Each time the witness answered a question, he scanned the room for supporters.

“Mr. Williams, did you pay Mr. Dibbens a visit the evening of February 11th of this year?”

“Yes, I visited him. He filed a claim on some of my land while I was out of state for a few months. I claimed the land a year ago. I call that claim jumping and that’s not thought highly of around he…” 

Mr. Salisbury interrupted. “Objection, Your Honor. Mr. Dibbens has been charged with perjury, not claim jumping.”

The judge nodded. “Just answer the questions asked of you.”

ARJ heard someone snicker behind him.

Mr. Sluss continued.

“Can you tell me the purpose of the visit?”

“When I got back and found out about Mr. Dibbens grabbing my land, I went to try to work it out.”

“How would you describe the visit?”

“Well, I’d call it a neighborly visit. I thought I’d introduce myself and let him know about the land claim mistake.”

“And you felt the need to bring people with you?”

“I’d never met the man, it was dark, he stole my land – ”

“Objection, Your Honor.”

Judge Campbell looked at the witness. “Mr. Williams, from now on, you will refrain from accusations. Finish your answer.”

“I didn’t think it was wise to go alone.” Mr. Williams finished with a shrug.

Mr. Sluss continued. “Do you think the visit went as planned?”

“Yeah. I met Mr. Dibbens and we had a talk about the problem.”

“Did you hurt Mr. Dibbens or his family?”

“Of course not. Like I said… it was a friendly visit.”

“I have no further questions at this time.” Mr. Sluss walked back to his seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waves of Wheat

Navigating This Blog

There are several ways to use this blog and read Waves of Wheat . Thank you for reading! Find the Labels to the right. Select a category fr...