22 April 2022

8.2 He didn’t want to hear anymore.

 Payne Township - June 1874

The next two weeks were filled with activity. Uncle Albert helped Dad fix some things around the farm and expand the cabin. Sometimes, ARJ helped them by handing them tools or fetching something they needed but most of the time, he and the others were sent out to play.

Mum and Aunt Rachel sat outside on nice days, catching up on family news, while Mum worked on her lace and Aunt Rachel crocheted.

“ARJ, would you run in and bring my bobbin bag out to me?” Mum asked. “I guess I didn’t count right!”

ARJ got up from where he’d been playing in front of the porch and went inside. He went into the back room and grabbed the bag. Dad’s and Uncle Albert’s voices filtered in from the other side of the back wall.

He walked back through to the porch and handed
the bag to Mum and resumed his play.

Mum hung the last bobbin pair on a pin and put her hand over them, looking at Aunt Rachel. “How are William and Emma doing since their loss?”

Rachel rested her crochet on her lap and looked at Mum.

“They’re doing about as well as can be expected. Emma seems quieter. I know she misses Little Emma dearly. Poor Alice, though. She’s beside herself without her little sister.”

Mum nodded. “At six, how is she to understand... “It’s so hard on everyone. It was difficult to leave our two… Ada May… such a sweet little girl, and Ada Emily, we barely got to know. Now, they seem so far away in the Ryde cemetery.”

Aunt Rachel waited a minute, and then put her hand over Mum’s. “I can’t imagine what a loss that was for you. It must have been difficult for you to leave.”

Mum pensively straightened her bobbins on the pillow, and then spoke.

“Soon after Ada May was born, my Mum pulled me aside. I remember she said, ‘If something happens to this one, you can always have more children.” Mum shook her head to clear her thoughts. “I know she was right, but the words washed over me like an icy rain!”

“You have three very healthy children now, Anna.” Rachel offered. “And soon, a fourth!”

Mum placed her hand over her very round belly, as Rachel continued.

“Emma’s baby is due in autumn. I’m hoping it helps her to have another.”

ARJ moved to the shadow of the cabin, away from the sad conversation, and sat watching a line of ants marching along the ground. They wound their way around tufts of little green plants with tiny purple flowers. He picked a flower and held it close. If he used his imagination, the small petal looked like a miniature purple rabbit.

He could hear Dad and Albert around the corner of the cabin as they talked about expanding the backroom. Uncle Albert was a bricklayer and carpenter, and Dad had been anxious for him to come.

“If we bring the wall out a little on this side, we could also put a second door back here.” He heard his uncle’s voice.

“Then I could come in through the back and not track mud through the house.” Dad said, and Uncle Albert snorted.

“You’re going to have to do better, little brother, if you want to keep your wife!”

“I tell you, Albert, I never remember walking in with muddy boots, but there, in front of me is the proof, on the floor and on my boots! Maybe I’m just anxious about the trial coming up and not paying attention. Very peculiar!”

Uncle Albert laughed again. “I don’t know about that but, I think we need a trip into town to get some lumber. I couldn’t bring my tools, but you have a few. Let’s get this job going.”

It was quiet for a long minute and then ARJ heard Dad’s voice, a little quieter.

“Listen Albert. If this trial doesn’t go well and I end up in prison…”

“Brother, I don’t think that will happen, but if it does… Anna and the kids will be taken care of until you’re free.”

There was another silence, followed by Dad’s voice. “If she wants to take the children and go back to England—she might find it easier.”

“Arthur, I don’t think we could talk her into moving that far away from you. God knows what will happen, and you can count on William and me to take care of your family.”

ARJ moved quickly away from the house. He didn’t want to hear anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waves of Wheat

Navigating This Blog

There are several ways to use this blog and read Waves of Wheat . Thank you for reading! Find the Labels to the right. Select a category fr...