11 April 2022

6.4 He was quite sure that was impossible!

 Payne Township

Early one morning late in April ARJ was wakened by Mum’s voice.

“Arthur, would you please pump some water and bring it in with you when you finish your chores.”

“Certainly, dear.”

“I need to wash this floor. More mud appeared last night! I wish you’d be more careful.”

Dad let out a long breath. “I tell you, Anna, I don’t remember my boots being muddy last night. I make it a practice to double check before coming in the house.”

“Well, maybe they’re going out to the fields on their own while we’re sleeping.”

ARJ’s ears perked at Mum’s words. He was quite sure that was impossible!

Dad stood and stared at Mum for a few seconds. Then they both started laughing.

Anna set the broom back in the corner. “I sure wish
we’d hear something about the court case. You know this child is due in June. What if your case goes to trial in June? I lie awake at night just thinking about it. What if I have the child and I can’t be there to testify.”

“Don’t worry,” Arthur said, hand on the doorlatch, Salisbury said they could always have you sign a deposition if you were indisposed… but I really hope you can be there that day. The jury should hear the story from you in person.”

Anna absently put her hand on her belly. “I pray the timing is right.”

Dad was quiet for a minute. Then ARJ heard him say, “When I was in town yesterday, I stopped by the law office. Salisbury wasn’t there but Mr. Brewer said they would both be appearing in court on my behalf, on May eighteenth, to file papers and possibly get the trial on the docket.”

“Now when were you going to give me that information?” Mum asked.

“I guess I forgot I hadn’t told you, until now. The days are running together for me, what with trying to keep our first crops alive.”

ARJ heard the door open and then quietly close as Dad went out for chores. Mum went into the back room where she kept her dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waves of Wheat

Navigating This Blog

There are several ways to use this blog and read Waves of Wheat . Thank you for reading! Find the Labels to the right. Select a category fr...